Tag Archives: State Department

Eritrea: State Department’s Unwarranted Act

Ministry of Information press release on State Department's recent and unwarranted act
Ministry of Information press release on State Department’s recent and unwarranted act.

BY MINISTRY OF INFORMATION

On March 30th last week, the US State Department announced another inexplicable and unwarranted act against Eritrea.

The pattern is sadly the same.  Fallacious reports are first floated and illicit measures subsequently announced by the same architects who act as the plaintiff, prosecutor and judge. Continue reading Eritrea: State Department’s Unwarranted Act

Eritrea – USA Relations Whence From?

Bizarre. The unprecedented hostility from U.S. State Department against the people of Eritrea, including the continued interference to the First Amendment rights of Eritrean Americans must be condemned and challenged.

By Berhane Alazar,

Although not exactly alarming anymore, the perpetuous actions the US have been actively taking against Eritrea and its people for some time now has been weird and perplexing to put it mildly. The latest silly action taken by certain US government officials against Eritrea over the weekend begs the question: “Why are some US policy makers acting and behaving like a headless chicken when it comes to Eritrea and the welfare of its citizens”? Continue reading Eritrea – USA Relations Whence From?

State Department Urges Ethiopia to Release those Jailed for Exercising their Rights

The U.S. State Department urges Ethiopia to discontinue its use of its Anti-Terrorism Proclamation law to Prosecute Journalists, Opposition members and Activists and free those who detained for exercising their constitutional rights.

By John Kirby | Assistant Secretary and Department Spokesperson,

The United States is deeply concerned by the Government of Ethiopia’s recent decision to file terrorism charges against Oromo Federalist Congress (OFC) First Vice-Chairman Bekele Gerba and others in the Oromia region who were arrested in late 2015. Continue reading State Department Urges Ethiopia to Release those Jailed for Exercising their Rights

U.S. Urges Ethiopia to Permit Peaceful Protests

U.S. said it is deeply concerned by the escalating clashes in the Oromia region of Ethiopia.

By Mark C. Toner | Deputy State Department Spokesperson,

The United States is deeply concerned by the recent clashes in the Oromia region of Ethiopia that reportedly have resulted in the deaths of numerous protesters. We greatly regret the deaths that have occurred and express our condolences to the families of those who have lost their lives. Continue reading U.S. Urges Ethiopia to Permit Peaceful Protests

Ethiopia’s Capital Home to the Largest Collection of Brothels in Africa

“Ethiopian officials reported that up to 1,500 Ethiopians (30%) left the country DAILY through legal migration process to the Middle East while the remaining 70% through the help of smugglers. Most of the girls finally end up as Prostitutes while the boys as forced laborers, domestic workers, thieves, and street beggars” – 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report

By US State Department,

ETHIOPIA is a source and, to a lesser extent, destination and transit country for men, women, and children who are subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking. Girls from Ethiopia’s rural areas are exploited in domestic servitude and, less frequently, prostitution within the country, while boys are subjected to forced labor in traditional weaving, herding, guarding, and street vending.

The central market in Addis Ababa is home to the largest collection of brothels in Africa, with girls as young as 8-years-old in prostitution in these establishments. Continue reading Ethiopia’s Capital Home to the Largest Collection of Brothels in Africa

U.S. Orders Expulsion of Ethiopian Embassy Gunman

The TPLF gunman who tried to take the law into his own hands

By TesfaNews,

THE fate of the Ethiopian Embassy gunman that was captured on video while dramatically brandishing a gun and shooting at peaceful and unarmed protesters has been decided today.

The U.S. State Department, therefore, ordered Solomon Tadesse Gebresslassie aka ‘Wedi Weyni‘, a member of the ruling Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), to pack his bags and leave the country in 48 hours.

Several sources indicate that although investigations into the criminal nature of the incident would have resulted in prosecution, his diplomatic immunity, however, left State Department officials with the only option of slapping “Wedi Weyni” with deportation.  Continue reading U.S. Orders Expulsion of Ethiopian Embassy Gunman