Tag Archives: voting

Ethiopia’s Tigray Region to Proceed With Vote, Stoking Tensions

Today’s decision by the Tigray Regional State Council is seen as a push back that could put the country on a different political trajectory.

The Council of Tigray Regional State passed a fateful decision to go ahead with regional election as planned – no later than September 2020.


Ethiopia’s northern Tigray region announced it will proceed with elections, ignoring the electoral board’s postponement of nationwide balloting and placing its administration on a collision course with the federal government. Continue reading Ethiopia’s Tigray Region to Proceed With Vote, Stoking Tensions

Ethiopian Parliament Rigged State of Emergency Vote

A dispute over Ethiopia emergency rule vote ensued after footage posted online

It’s not the first time that Ethiopians witnessed a rigged vote. The regime’s vote mugging strategy are very well known.


Footage of an Ethiopian parliamentary session posted online on Saturday appeared to contradict official reports of the number of votes cast to validate the state of emergency, though government officials dismissed the discrepancy as a mistake. Continue reading Ethiopian Parliament Rigged State of Emergency Vote

Ethiopia: Most Hated, Most Voted!

Election in Ethiopia is getting better and better, as Wendy Sherman, U.S. Under Secretary for Political Affairs put it. In 1995 the process guaranteed 75 seats to various opposition parties, then it evolved to only ONE in 2010, until it reaches the present stage of advanced democracy with ZERO representative from the opposition. Wait! Does election means about voting who you hate the most?

By Habtamu Seyoum,

ACCORDING to late may 24 news of the shoddy, government affiliated website, Aiga forum, the Ethiopian people revolutionary democratic front had won 100% of the votes. It looks like Election 2015 is not different from its predecessors; the most hated party in the whole nation proclaimed as it is the sole winner of the popular Election. Delirium seems the intimate pal of the ruling party, madness looks like the chronic disease of EPRDF, Insanity found to be the intrinsic element of this gang.

At this moment, many may think ‘do we still need peaceful way of dealing with those larrikins?’ Continue reading Ethiopia: Most Hated, Most Voted!

What Happened to the Flawed Ethiopian Election

A week has passed since the electoral board announced the incumbent EPRDF won all the counted 80% votes by leaving its opponents empty-handed. But, what happened to the remaining 20% of the vote?

By TesfaNews,

AFTER witnessing that the May 24 elections in Ethiopia has become a subject of worldwide ridicule, the election board was told on Thursday to suspend declaring the results. By then the board had already reported results from 80 percent of the votes that all goes miraculously to the ruling EPRDF, leaving the opposition empty-handed.

A week has passed since and no more results have been made public. No specific incident has happened to warrant for such suspension or delays except that the rigged results causing too much of a surprise to the regime itself and, of course, a total embarrassment to the majority of the Ethiopian people.  Continue reading What Happened to the Flawed Ethiopian Election

“Multi-Party Democracy in Ethiopia Dead” – Opposition

The 2015 predetermined and fraudulent election drama has been rejected by the opposition as a “disgrace”


ETHIOPIA’S main opposition party on Friday condemned weekend elections, which saw the ruling party cruise back into office, as a “disgrace” and proof the country was a one-party state.

According to preliminary results from last Sunday’s elections, the ruling Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) of Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn secured all 442 parliamentary seats so far declared out of the 547 seats up for grabs. Continue reading “Multi-Party Democracy in Ethiopia Dead” – Opposition

Ethiopians Embarrassed by Ruling Party’s Landslide Victory

Ethiopia’s ruling regime demonstrates its contempt over its people by showing them that, “elections” are not about people’s rule but about ruling people. For that, it rigged last week’s “election” like a two-bit carnival game.

By TesfaNews,

NOTHING is further from the truth and all Ethiopians know it. The flawlessly organised election robbery that took place in Ethiopia on May 24 is now concluded with the unpopular ruling EPRDF party wining by a landslide .

Over 37 million registered voters out of the 96 million people reportedly cast their ballots in the said parliamentary and regional election.

Based on preliminary results that was released yesterday by the country’s electoral board, the highly unpopular ruling EPRDF and its affiliate parties so far won all of the 442 declared seats, leaving the opposition empty-handed.  Continue reading Ethiopians Embarrassed by Ruling Party’s Landslide Victory